Germany plans to completely remove Chinese-made components from its 5G mobile networks by the end of 2029, according to The Wall Street Journal. The decision is intended to resolve years of debate and respond to U.S. security warnings on the issue. Germany has been discussing restricting the use of Chinese (5G) equipment/components for six years, and former Chancellor Angela Merkel's government has previously refused to introduce a ban due to concerns about costs and retaliation despite continued pressure from the United States. According to a preliminary draft agreement, Germany's major telecom operators have agreed to remove components made by Huawei and ZTE from their core networks by the end of 2026. By the end of 2029, network management systems for all radio access networks should also be cleared of Chinese-made components. At present, the government and operators have not yet signed a final agreement, and details may change in the coming days. For years, the United States has repeatedly warned its Western allies that Chinese-made 5G telecommunications equipment may have backdoors, allowing the Chinese government to steal data or shut down equipment in times of conflict, despite the fact that Chinese 5G telecommunications equipment is cheap and high-quality. In recent years, under pressure from the United States, Germany has pledged to reduce its dependence on Chinese technology and raw materials. German security agencies have also warned of increasing espionage activities from the East and arrested several suspected spies. However, due to economic stagnation and internal friction in the government, the implementation of the policy of containing China has encountered obstacles. While some German government officials worry that China poses a security threat, current German Chancellor Olaf Scholz wants to encourage Chinese investment and prevent a collapse in bilateral trade. The frictions have led Germany to downplay its China strategy and oppose EU efforts to boycott cheap Chinese imports. Germany's interior ministry said it would take steps to ensure the security of key parts of the 5G network. Deutsche Telekom, Telefonica and Vodafone declined to comment, while Huawei and ZTE did not respond. In recent years, European countries including the United Kingdom and the Baltic states have banned Chinese components from their telecom networks. Analysts pointed out that Germany's decision will bring it into line with other European countries, but the action came too late and was mostly based on conditions proposed by operators. Noah Barkin, a consultant at research firm Rhodium, said the timeline of the agreement showed that most Chinese components would only be removed when they reached their expiration date. Data shows that in 2022, Chinese components will account for 59% of Germany's 5G networks, while in the UK it will be 41%, in France it will be 17%, and in the Baltic countries it will be 0%. |
<<: The first step in learning networking: a comprehensive analysis of the OSI and TCP/IP models
>>: TCP three-way handshake: in-depth understanding and C# example implementation
[51CTO.com original article] If someone asked wha...
What is structured cabling? In short, it is a sta...
[[400269]] This article is reprinted from the WeC...
[[345521]] This article is reprinted from the WeC...
CloudCone has released several Easter packages, w...
Recently, the 14th Intel Internet of Things Summi...
[51CTO.com original article] Recently, the WOT201...
UUUVPS (Sanyou Cloud) launched the promotion duri...
What is the difference between the upcoming IPv6 ...
In the past few days, the cold front has hit, but...
When we look at the manufacturing industry and ho...
Unlike the fierce price competition in the 3G and...
Digitalization and the provision of digital servi...
On March 8, Beijing time, Xunlei released its una...