Following ZTE and Huawei, China Mobile is again caught up in the "national security threat" scandal in the US

Following ZTE and Huawei, China Mobile is again caught up in the "national security threat" scandal in the US

Trump reportedly blocked China Mobile from entering the U.S. telecommunications market on the grounds that it would threaten U.S. national security. China Mobile submitted an application to enter the U.S. market in 2011.

[[235064]]

On Monday, the U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) said in an email that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) should reject China Mobile's application because China Mobile is backed by the Chinese government and allowing China Mobile to provide international voice communications between the United States and other countries would pose risks to U.S. law enforcement and national security.

On Friday, the United States said it would impose tariffs on $34 billion of Chinese imports, and China said it would retaliate in kind. U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to impose additional tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports if China retaliated.

The United States has been the world's hegemon in the past few decades, especially in technology, but this dominance will not last forever. Previously, ZTE and Huawei were sanctioned by the United States one after another. There are signs that China will play an absolute leading role in the development of technologies such as 5G and artificial intelligence, and the United States needs to ensure its absolute leading position in technology.

ZTE was banned from buying American components for seven years after being accused of violating US sanctions against Iran and North Korea. The company stopped trading in Hong Kong on April 16 and ceased all operations in early May. The lifting of the ban has entered the legal process after ZTE recently reached an agreement with the US Department of Commerce. According to the agreement, ZTE will pay a fine of US$1 billion, put US$400 million as escrow funds, and fire all senior vice presidents and above.

Huawei and Google announced a strategic partnership in January, and Huawei will integrate Google's Android information into Huawei's Android smartphones. However, some lawmakers in the US Congress seem to be interested in banning Huawei's business in the US. Five lawmakers sent a letter to Google CEO Sundar Pichai, asking Google to reconsider its partnership with Huawei, believing that it could pose a potential threat to US national security.

This time, the United States has again refused China Mobile's entry into the U.S. market on the grounds that it would threaten national security. This is only part of the increasingly fierce Sino-U.S. trade war in recent times.

<<:  From "eating meat" to "drinking soup": the difficult transformation of telecom operators

>>:  Six wireless transmission modes, do you know them all?

Blog    

Recommend

Hostio: €5/month KVM-2GB/25GB/5TB/Netherlands data center

Hostio is a foreign hosting company founded in 20...

Learn the history of HTTP in 6 minutes

[[386748]] HTTP/0.9HTTP/0.9 was proposed in 1991 ...

The TRUST principle for 6G network performance experience

The International Seminar on Future Information a...

How should NFV be deployed today?

Network Function Virtualization is maturing among...

Is your home router safe? Tests on 18 routers tell you...

Fearing Wi-Fi radiation, parents asked schools to...

A "right remedy" for Ethernet Mac and Phy layer problems

In today's digitally connected world, Etherne...

Omdia: Global Gigabit Broadband Users to Exceed 187 Million by 2025

LightReading reports that the COVID-19 pandemic h...

Pour some cold water on the "feverish" 5G concept: the market is far from mature

The popularity of 5G networks, 5G mobile phones, ...

What are the advantages of Wi-Fi HaLow? Why is it the future of IoT Wi-Fi?

Connectivity is critical to every aspect of our l...